Thursday, October 8, 2009

The Boys and Girls Turn 50

I had a letter from one of my former students yesterday.  He signed it, "Your Old Student (Yes, I'm 50), Karl."  It seems like yesterday that he was one of the Boys and Girls, as Hunter liked to call them.

It was the mid-70's, and I was teaching journalism and advising the yearbook and newspaper at Fayetteville High School while LBeau was finishing a masters degree at the University of Arkansas.  Hunter was two, going on three.

At deadline time, the Boys and Girls would often come over to our house to work on layouts or write copy, and Hunter became their mascot.  His Little Tykes table and chairs doubled as a copy desk.

scan0173

When he turned three in February, 1977, the Boys and Girls threw him a birthday party.  The invitation was handwritten on my classroom chalkboard.

scan0180

It's hard to believe that these "kids" have hit the Big 5-0.  In fact, I ran into one of  the Girls a few weeks ago in Fayetteville.  Debbie certainly didn't look 50, so maybe that means I don't look old enough to have been their teacher.   At least I can hope.

9 comments:

Joy Tilton said...

I can just picture you in the
1970's, one of those teachers that looked as young as their students and loved because you were "cool!" Time does have a way of sneaking up on us, doesn't it?

susan said...

I know most people thought I was nuts, but I really enjoyed teaching high school! You must have been very special to have someone send you a letter after this long!

Sarah said...

Kathy, this is a delightful post and such a tribute to you as a teacher and friend. Being a retired teacher myself, I know how special it is to hear from former students once they are grown and out in the world on their own. Thanks for sharing this special memory.

Valerie said...

What a fun post!!!

Man, I don't know what to think about when my first group of 2nd graders turns 50...that will make me 73...oh...don't want to think about that...40s been tough enough!

Good luck with my blog give-away. I hope you win!

Blessings,
Valerie

nanny said...

Bet you were a great teacher. You always remember the good ones!!!!
Great post!
Have you got your hog face on yet???

j said...

My journalism teacher was one of my favorite teachers ever. Sounds like you had that effect (affect? Mr. Haynes would be so sad) on your students too.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Leigh of Tales from Bloggeritaville said...

How absolutley precious!
IDo you live close to Fayette? I was close by recently as I went to Columbus Ms. Thanks for dropping by today to visit. I always enjoy having you stop by!
Have a great weekend. We are expecting rain....again!
HUGS!
Leigh
Tales from Bloggeritaville
www.lbratina.blogspot.com

Rachel said...

Wow.... How are your students 50 if you aren't yet 50??

;)

That's pretty amazing. And I LOVE the photos! You've re-inspired me to go picture-box-diving at my Mom's house...

arkie said...

I just got back from my 35th high school reunion in AR. Our former high school principal and one of our teachers attended with us. It was so amazing to realize that they were just barely twenty years older than we were! I wish more could have attended! We had the greatest teachers and school staff!

By the way, one of my uncles was a principal in Fayettville, AR in the 70's (I believe. He was a Cannon.