Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Running Late

320597529_6c21476212_m-1 I am late to the party—Susan's Deck the Halls Party, that is.  The truth is that I haven't even started decorating yet.

We always travel to Arkansas over Thanksgiving weekend, so I'm never able to start my decorating until after we return, which usually isn't until Sunday evening.  By then, I'm just too pooped and normally put it off until the first weekend in December, because I refuse to pull out anything having to do with Christmas until Thanksgiving is over.

On Black Friday, the "girls" made our annual trek to Frank's in Camden, Arkansas.  Frank's wonderful nursery and gift shop is actually called Four Seasons, but we just call it Frank's.  He always has a beautifully decorated mantel over a real wood-burning fireplace, and I get inspired just looking at the things in his store.

Thanksgiving 013

Claire and Kate couldn't resist these sprigs with the bright limey green foliage, a color that I'm seeing lots of this year.

ribbon 001 I bought some new red ribbon so that I can retire my old bows.  It's your typical red Christmas ribbon, except that is has scallops and stitching on the edges.  I also bought some funky green ribbon that looks just like moss.  I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it, but it will definitely be used.

stockings 002

Earlier this week the stockings that I ordered for Lauren and Lucy arrived.  Lauren is the newest grandchild, and Lucy will arrive in February.

So I guess it's time to get started.  I think I'll tackle the mantel first.

9 comments:

Joy Tilton said...

Sounds like a good plan! We do ours in steps...the outside lights when it's still nice in November, then the trees the weekend of Thanksgiving, then the rest of the decorating the following week. How come it takes 3 weeks to put up yet we can take it all down in one weekend???Hmmm...

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

Sounds like you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family! That is always such a good thing!

Love the red ribbon and the moss. Can't wait to see what you do with it!

Have a good week!

Lou Cinda :)

Marjorie (Molly) Smith said...

Yep that lime green has been popular for a couple of years now especially paired with hot pink, it is really big this year, but I still love the traditional greens and reds.
That mantel is so great wish I had one...
The stockings are too cute and yes like you I refuse to start Christmas decorating until Thanksgiving is over.
Can't wait to see your decorations.
Molly

Mid-Atlantic Martha said...

What adorable stockings! I have to admit that I started decorating the day after Thanksgiving -- I usually don't do that, but it seems that each year gets more hectic than the last and I'm going away this weekend -- and I will say -- it's nice to have it all done!

nanny said...

beautiful picture of your mantel!!!
I need to save pictures cause I forget how I decorated it last year/ha

Tonja said...

That looks like the kind of store I just love! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Tonja said...

That looks like the kind of store I just love! Glad you had a nice Thanksgiving!

Joyce said...

I have serious mantle envy...gotta do something with mine but I can't decide what. We decorate in stages too...outside lights and trees mostly done the weekend after Thanksgiving. Then I do bits and pieces every day. I love the stockings!

Sarah said...

Yep, like Claire and Katie I fell for the limey green foliage too. Mine even is sprinkled with glitter. I used springs of it and some in red to fill in spaces within my tree. Really give it a glitter pop! ~ sarah